Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Stretching and Lengthening Natural Curls

What is Banding?

Simply put...banding is a technique used to lengthen naturally curly hair without using any source of heat such as blow-dryers or flat-irons.

This was my first attempt at banding and I absolutely loved the results. I began banding on clean, moisturized hair.   I started at the base of the hair and approximately every inch or so, I placed a ponytail holder on the hair (remember not too tight).  I left the hair banded until dry.  Depending on the style, I sometimes like the hair to be a little damp.

I usually braid or twist the hair to lengthen curls.  Those techniques work fine but twisting or braiding does leave a pattern when taking the hair down, which can make the hair a little more difficult to manipulate.  I will not be using this technique every time, but it is good to know of an alternative way of stretching the hair.  This technique makes it easier to style the hair especially if cornrowing the hair.

Introducing Baby Girl S as "Pippy Longstocking"
Things needed to band:
  • Detangling Comb - to comb through damp hair 
  • Rat-tail comb - to part hair in sections
  • Ponytail Holders - to band the hair (I use Goody Girls Gentle Ponytail Holders, no snagging)

How do you stretch your curls?

No comments:

Post a Comment